New-Style Sashimi Salad with Matsuhisa Dressing
Nobu's sashimi salad features partially cooked yellowfin tuna, a boon to anyone who doesn't enjoy completely raw fish. Nobu suggests serving this salad on just one plate. It's meant for sharing.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 2
Photography: Ray Hom
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- 1 piece skinless yellowfin tuna fillet (4 ounces, 1 1/2 inches thick)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 very small, narrow zucchini
- 1 beet, scrubbed, trimmed, and peeled
- 1/2 small head Boston or red-leaf lettuce, trimmed, leaves separated, and large leaves torn
- 1 scallion, trimmed and julienned
- 1/4 cup Matsuhisa Dressing
Season tuna all over with salt and pepper. Heat a nonstick skillet to high. Sear all 4 sides of fillet until cooked 1/4 inch on each side, 15 to 30 seconds each side. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and let cool; pat dry. Transfer to a cutting board and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
Slice carrot, zucchini, and beet into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Toss with lettuce and scallion. Pour 1/4 cup dressing on a large lunch plate and top with a mound of lettuce mixture. Place tuna slices around lettuce mixture; serve.