- 1 lemon
- 6 artichokes (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (from about 5 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve lemon and squeeze juice into a large bowl of cold water; add squeezed lemon halves to bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, peel tough outer leaves and trim 1 inch from top. Trim fibrous green skin from heart and stem. Halve each artichoke lengthwise, scrape fuzzy choke from heart with a spoon, and transfer to lemon water.
Drain artichokes and place, cut side up, in a wide, shallow ovenproof pot. Pour wine, oil, and water over artichokes and sprinkle with salt, red-pepper flakes, garlic, and herbs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, transfer to oven, and braise until artichokes are tender, about 45 minutes. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with red-pepper flakes, and serve with pan juices.