Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
This nostalgic dish (it evokes casseroles made with canned soup) transforms rotisserie chicken. Speed things up by using bags of precooked rice (or leftover rice).
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: YunHee Kim
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (10 ounces)
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded chicken, from a small rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and browned, 10 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the flour. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and rice and return to a simmer. Stir in peas, parsley, and sour cream; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
Bake until top is golden brown and mixture is warm throughout, 15 to 20 minutes.