Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
This nostalgic dish evokes the Old School casseroles your grandmother used to make. Transforms rotisserie chicken and precooked rice (or leftover rice) with this quick and delicious weeknight meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: YunHee Kim
Source: Everyday Food, March 2013
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (10 ounces)
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded chicken, from a small rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and browned, 10 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the flour. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and rice and return to a simmer. Stir in peas, parsley, and sour cream; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
Bake until top is golden brown and mixture is warm throughout, 15 to 20 minutes.