Chinese Egg Noodle Soup
Feel free to add some soy sauce, fish sauce, or hoisin to jazz this up and make it your own.
- 8 cups homemade or store-bought chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- Coarse salt
- 9 ounces Chinese dried egg noodles
- 1 pound Chinese broccoli or broccolini, sliced crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs, poached
- Hot sauce, such as Sriracha (optional)
Bring broth to a simmer in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan. Add chicken; simmer gently until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously, add egg noodles, and cook until al dente, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and divide noodles among 4 soup bowls.
Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool slightly. Bring broth to a boil, add broccoli, and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a skimmer or slotted spoon, lift out broccoli and divide among soup bowls.
Slice chicken and divide among bowls. Ladle broth into bowls, and top each serving with a poached egg and some hot sauce, if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2013