Roasting the vegetables first is a superb way to make a deeply flavored salsa.
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 3 jalapeno chiles, stems removed and halved, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup homemade or store-bought chicken broth
Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in upper third. Put tomatoes, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet, along with onion, 2 jalapenos, and garlic. Drizzle with oil and roast until vegetables are blistered in places and wilting, 22 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
Pulse remaining jalapeno in a food processor until finely chopped. Add roasted vegetables and any accumulated juices, along with cilantro, salt, lime juice, and broth. Pulse until smooth.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2013