If making the glazed spareribs to go along with this chutney, reserve the watermelon flesh.
- Yield: Makes 2 pint-size jars and one 1/2-pint-size jar
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
- 1 small yellow or red watermelon (about 4 pounds), quartered
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Cut and scrape flesh from watermelon rind; reserve for another use. Cut away outer green skin from rind; discard. Cut rind into 1-inch pieces. (You should have about 9 cups.)
Bring rind, vinegar, sugar, water, ginger, peppercorns, chiles, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer until rind is translucent and tender and liquid is syrupy, about 55 minutes. Divide mixture among 2 pint-size and one 1/2-pint-size sterilized glass jars; refrigerate.