- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: chris court
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried fine breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (roughly 13 by 16 inches), thawed if frozen
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; set aside 3 tablespoons mixture. Peel and core apples; cut into quarters, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Toss with lemon juice; stir into sugar mixture with apricots and breadcrumbs.
Brush 1 sheet phyllo with butter, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon reserved sugar mixture. Top with remaining 5 sheets phyllo, layering with butter and sugar mixture. Scatter filling on phyllo, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting with a long end, roll up to enclose filling; place strudel, seam side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush top with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Cut into slices; serve warm with whipped cream.