Beet-and-Cauliflower Soup with Dill
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: chris court
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2013
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (from 1 medium)
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower (from 1 small head)
- 3 cups chopped peeled red beets (3 medium)
- Coarse salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat, and add onion; saute until just translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in cauliflower, beets, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until beets and cauliflower are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in dill. Let soup cool 10 minutes, then puree in batches until smooth, adding a little water if necessary to thin.
Return soup to pot, and bring to a simmer. Season with salt, and garnish with dill sprigs before serving. Soup can be refrigerated 1 day; let cool completely before refrigerating. Gently reheat before serving.