Shaved-Butternut-and-Carrot Salad with Dates and Sunflower Seeds
Carrots are no surprise in a winter salad, but paper-thin shavings of uncooked butternut squash are a revelation: They have a very gentle garden sweetness and a crisp texture.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Ryan Liebe
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2013
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot (from 1 shallot)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces butternut squash (from 1 small squash), peeled
- 3 small carrots, peeled
- 2 ounces dates, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces baby arugula (6 cups)
Combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly.
Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, shave squash and carrots into a large bowl. Add dates, sunflower seeds, arugula, and vinaigrette. Toss thoroughly to coat, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.