Moroccan Meatball Soup with Sweet Potato
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced small
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into thin half-moons
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 cups chicken broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, cumin, and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and add beef. Using your hands, gently combine (do not overmix), then form beef mixture into 1-inch balls.
Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pot and heat over medium-high. Add sweet potatoes and carrots and cook until bright orange, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer; cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer until cooked through, 12 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.