A first costume should be as cute and cuddly as the wearer, and one made of feathers, wool, even scales, when sewn in quilted felt, will be just that. Use the simple soft designs here to ensure that your little one is adorable in her new skin.
Things are going swimmingly for this giggly goldfish. His quilted costume, which ends in a generous tail and is worn with an orange snap-bottom T-shirt and leggings, is perfect for a child who is mesmerized by ponds and fish tanks. The enclosed bottom makes it only suitable for babies who aren't yet walking.
As you conjure up disguises for your child this Halloween, here are some guidelines to keep in mind:
1. Children should not wear masks, which can obstruct their vision, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
2. If you decide to use makeup as part of your child's disguise, use only nontoxic, hypoallergenic face paints.
3. By law, store-bought costumes must be flame-retardant; if you plan to make your child's costume yourself, use flame-resistant fabrics such as wool felt and polyester.
4. Because our costumes were assembled from household materials, they do not conform to all of the safety requirements that store-bought costumes do; babies wearing them should be supervised by an adult at all times.
5. Make sure all shoes fit properly and that oversize pants and skirts are trimmed so your toddler won't trip over them.
6. If you plan to take your child trick-or-treating after dark, affix reflective tape to everyone's costume and carry a flashlight.
- 60-inch-long piece of kraft paper
- 1 1/2 yards of orange wool felt
- 1 yard of 1/4-inch-thick polyurethane foam or one bag of wool-blanket batting
- 4 sets of Velcro fastener dots, 1/2 yard of pink wool felt
- White craft glue
- Goldfish costume template
To make patterns, draw a grid of 2-inch squares on kraft paper; copy templates by hand onto it. Using fish pattern, cut one piece of orange felt and foam with front scoop neckline and one piece orange felt and foam with back neckline. Use orange part of pattern to cut one front and one back from orange felt for lining. For the front, layer foam, then whole felt, then half felt; stitch around top from notch A to notch B, with 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn right side out so foam is between felt pieces. Quilt front from top to bottom, making rows of 4 1/2-inch scallops 2 1/2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining pieces for back. Place front and back together, right sides facing. Sew around tail from notch A to notch B, with a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn right side out. Sew Velcro fastener dots at shoulders and underarms, as shown on template.
Use hat pattern to cut two pieces of felt, one orange and one pink, and one piece of foam. Layer pieces: foam, pink felt, and orange felt. Sew top, bottom, and one side closed with 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn right side out. Quilt as above. Fold in half, pink side out; sew along short edge. Turn orange side out. Cut eye from black and white felt scraps. Glue on as shown.