Harvest Vegetable Galette with Greens and Goat Cheese
Bring vibrant color and sweetness to an ordinary potato pancake with grated beets and carrots. This protein-rich version also includes chickpeas.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Everyday Food, September 2011
- 1 russet potato, scrubbed and diced
- 3 large beets (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and peeled
- 3 carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (from one 15-ounce can), drained and rinsed, half coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
Bring potato to a boil in a pot of salted water. Cook until knife-tender, about 6 minutes; drain.
Grate beets and carrots on the large holes of a box grater into a large bowl (or shred in a food processor). Stir in chickpeas, potato, flour, and 1 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper.
In a large nonstick straight-sided skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add beet mixture, and firmly press evenly into pan using a flexible spatula. Cook, undisturbed, 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover with a serving platter, and carefully invert pancake onto platter. Slide pancake back into pan, and cook until crisp and brown around edge, 10 to 12 minutes. Invert pancake onto platter.
In a medium bowl, toss salad greens with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Top pancake with salad and goat cheese, and cut into wedges.