Under 30 Minutes
Roast Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
For a thicker, richer broth that's more in the style of avgolemono soup, simply whisk together two large egg yolks and the juice of one lemon. Stir the mixture into the soup just before serving. If you plan to make the salad another day, then reserve two tablespoons of the pan juices for the vinaigrette.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Roast Spatchcocked Lemon Chicken
- Roast lemons, shallots, and pan juices from Roast Spatchcocked Lemon Chicken
- Coarsely chopped fresh dill, for garnish
Tangs a Lot
You'll never just squeeze a lemon again when you taste the levels of flavor roasted lemon slices bring to this chicken-and-rice soup.
Bring rice, water, lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir once, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer until rice is cooked and water evaporates, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
Bring stock to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, chicken, lemons, shallots, and pan juices, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among 4 to 6 bowls, and season with lemon juice and dill.