Martha Stewart Living, December 2011
Adorn simple boxes with figures similar to those on the pyramid. Set them out near the cake, and offer them as favors for guests to take home.
Wooden Box How-To
- Small paintbrushes
- Watercolor paint
- Wooden boxes
- Basswood, 1/32 by 3 by 24 inches
- Craft knife
- Wood glue
- Wooden figures: people, snowmen, birds, and trees
- Dremel drill, bit 3/32 (if making snowman)
- Paint the rims of the wooden boxes. Let dry.
- Print templates for snowman arms, caroler arms, and angel wings. Trace onto basswood and cut out with knife.
- Using brush, glue arms and wings to figurines. If making snowmen, drill shallow holes at sides to insert arms; glue, and let dry. If making angels, paint wings separately, then glue to painted body.
- Paint figures as desired. Draw details first very lightly in pencil. Use a spare piece of wood to check the color and opacity of the paint. Let dry.
- Glue figurines to box tops.