Inside-Out Chicken and Stuffing
This is your new go-to chicken dinner. Some of the bread pieces soak up the juices, while others get crunchy -- it's the best of both worlds.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, December 2012
- 1 apple, diced large
- 2 stalks celery, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 9 ounces crusty white bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in upper third. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together apple, celery, 1 tablespoon oil, and caraway seed. Add bread, arrange in an even layer, and bake 10 minutes.
Pour broth on top and stir until absorbed. Rub chicken with remaining tablespoon oil and add to sheet. Season stuffing and chicken with salt and pepper. Bake until stuffing is golden brown and chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.