Baked Banana-Pecan Oatmeal
Capitalize on the healthiness of this good-tasting breakfast. Bananas, oats, and pecans add up to power-packed nutrition.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, December 2012
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 firm-ripe bananas, sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar, whisked to remove lumps
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped and toasted
In a medium pot, bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in oats and salt and cook 1 minute. Let cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
Bring oatmeal to a simmer over medium-high. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.
Heat broiler, with rack 4 inches from heat. Top oatmeal with bananas and brown sugar and broil until bananas are caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans to serve.