Under 30 Minutes
Stir-Fried Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Don't call for delivery! This satisfying lightened-up version of the chinese takeout classic is easy to make at home.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 three-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small serrano chile, seeded if desired and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Cooked rice
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high 1 minute, then add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat. Add chicken, season with salt, and cook 1 minute. Stir in ginger, garlic, and chile and cook until chicken is almost cooked through, about 3 minutes.
Stir in jam and pineapple, then add scallions. Cook until chicken is cooked through and scallions are bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Season with vinegar and salt. Serve with rice.