Roasted Acorn Squash Pasta with Kale and Almonds
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, December 2012
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch wedges, then crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells
- 1 bunch curly kale, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together squash, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil and arrange in a single layer; season with salt and pepper. Bake until squash is soft and lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Remove garlic from skins and toss with squash.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 1 minute less than package instructions. Add kale and cook 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain. Return pasta and kale to pot, add squash mixture and remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta. Serve topped with almonds.