Roasted Acorn Squash Pasta with Kale and Almonds
The mix of pasta, garlic, olive oil and squash is classic but here we throw in kale and toasted almonds on top for healthy, more complex flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, December 2012
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch wedges, then crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells
- 1 bunch curly kale, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together squash, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil and arrange in a single layer; season with salt and pepper. Bake until squash is soft and lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Remove garlic from skins and toss with squash.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 1 minute less than package instructions. Add kale and cook 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain. Return pasta and kale to pot, add squash mixture and remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta. Serve topped with almonds.