The flavor of pears is wonderful with earthy squash. Another great combo? This soup plus a grilled cheese sandwich make a cozy, comforting lunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced large
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and diced large
- 2 pears, peeled and diced large
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
In a medium pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until translucent, 6 minutes. Add squash, pears, and 4 cups water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until squash is soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
In batches, fill a blender halfway with soup and puree with yogurt until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a clean pot as you work. Season with salt and pepper; serve with chives and a drizzle of olive oil.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2012