Hearty Beef Stew
This can also be made in a slow cooker: Reduce water to 1/2 cup, add potatoes at the beginning with the other ingredients, and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, December 2012
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound small potatoes, halved
- 1/2 pound frozen peas and carrots, thawed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large heavy pot, toss beef with flour. Stir in tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high, transfer to oven, and cook 1 hour. Stir in potatoes and cook until beef and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour more. Stir in peas and carrots and let sit 5 minutes before serving.