A stand mixer is best for this thick dough.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs plus 1 beaten large egg white, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 1 cup candied citrus peel
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit, diced small
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In the bowl of a stand mixer, using paddle attachment, combine flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add butter and beat on medium-high until coarse crumbs form. With mixer on low, add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in almonds, citrus peel, and dried fruit.
On two parchment-lined baking sheets, shape dough into four 3-inch-wide logs. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until just set in middle, 30 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks. With a serrated knife, cut logs on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices. Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets until just golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets on racks.