Peppermint-Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 12 round peppermint candies, crushed, for decorating
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract on medium-high until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in egg, then flour mixture on low. Stir in chocolate chips.
Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place, 2 inches apart, on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly golden, about 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely.
Stir together confectioners' sugar and enough cream to make a spreadable glaze (if you like a strong mint flavor, stir in up to 1/4 teaspoon extract). Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie and sprinkle with candies. Let dry completely on racks.