Gingerbread Men Cookies
This spicy dough is the flavorful foundation for cookie decorator Dani Fiori's gingerbread men.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup Truvia Baking Blend
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- Royal Icing
- Sanding sugar, for decorating (optional)
- Candy, for decorating (optional)
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
Place butter and Truvia in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt, then eggs and molasses. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, mix until just combined. Divide dough into thirds, wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
Line baking sheets with nonstick baking mats; set aside. Roll out dough on a clean work surface to 1/4-inch thick. Using a 4-inch gingerbread man-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies, and place on a baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake cookies until crisp but not dark, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire rack.
Using white icing in a squeeze bottle, decorate gingerbread men, as desired. While still wet, sprinkle with sanding sugar; let dry 10 minutes. Shake off excess sugar. Using additional icing, attach candy, using craft tweezers. Let dry completely 8 hours or overnight.