1 of 4
There are sartorial upsides to entertaining at home -- you can get away with bare feet, for one. But prepping for guests leaves little time for fussing over an outfit. These easy pieces get you festive in a flash.
'Tis the season to rock a red frock. When you slip on a bold color, you instantly look awake and pulled together, even if five minutes ago you were scrambling to clean up the living room and set up the bar. Bonus: There's no chance you'll blend in with the crowd.
Petal sleeve dress, in Red, $148, anntaylor.com.
2 of 4
Not only can a pretty patterned top make your go-to black pants feel special occasion-worthy, it will also hide the red wine spills and chafing-dish spatters that are the true signs of a good party.
3 of 4
This classic shape is elegant and as comfy as a nightgown and requires a minimum of accessories. (It's particularly appropriate with stocking feet.) A bare-shouldered halter version will keep you cool, even in a hot kitchen.
Python halter dress, in Emerald, $395, rebeccataylor.com.
4 of 4
Hit of Sparkle
A jewel-encrusted belt fancies up whatever it comes in contact with, from pants and a black tee to any simple workday dress. If you don't want to draw attention to your waist, sparkly shoes or a statement necklace work the same magic.
Wool high-neck dress, in Black, $40, uniqlo.com. Chain-embroidered belt, by Ulla Johnson, $220, from Wright's, 310-376-8553.
You Just Viewed
Chic (and Simple) Hostess OutfitsReplay
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Blueprint for Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Decorate with Brass
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Home Decor Inspired by Color