Forest animals, mushrooms, and bristle ornaments mix the natural and the fantastical -- and bring texture to your tree.
Tools and Materials
3 mm wool felt
Colored tailor's chalk pencil
Needle-felting mat and tool
- Print templates; cut out.
- Trace templates onto felt with tailor's chalk, and cut out.
- Place a felting-needle mat under felt, and lay a few tufts of roving side by side where desired. Using a needle-felting tool, punch fibers through felt until they transfer evenly to the reverse side.
- Remove stray fibers by pressing felted area with one hand and teasing out stray pieces with the other. Repeat until area is covered.
- Use a screw punch to make a hole at the top. Hang with twine.
Wool felt, 3 mm, in assorted colors, $12 per sheet, achildsdream.com. Bhedawool roving, in Tomato, Snow, and Military Green, $3.50 for 25 g, purlsoho.com. Felting needle foam, $11.50; and felting needles, by Blue Grip, $7.50 for 2; colonialneedle.com.