Chicken-and-Rice Soup with Ginger
Infusing chicken broth with garlic and ginger makes a fragrant, flavorful soup base. We won't say we've found the cure for the common cold, but a warm bowl of this aromatic soup sure hits the spot when you're feeling under the weather.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2012
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 3 ounces baby spinach (3 cups)
- Salt and pepper
In a medium pot, bring broth, 2 cups water, garlic, and ginger to a simmer over medium. Add chicken and rice and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. With tongs, transfer chicken to a plate. Cover pot and simmer until rice is tender, 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Shred chicken and return to pot. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.