Sweet Potato-Sausage Soup
Autumn vegetables take on a deep sweetness after the first frost, so let them shine in this hearty soup. If you like a little heat, swap in spicy Italian sausage for the sweet.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, November 2012
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced large
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 sweet potatoes (1 pound total), peeled and diced medium
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup small pasta shells
- 4 cups roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale and Swiss chard
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 3 minutes less than package instructions. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted, 4 minutes. Serve with Parmesan.