Making meatloaf doesn't always require a loaf pan -- or an oven, for that matter. Everyone gets their own mini version with this stovetop strategy that also saves you money.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2012
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 medium carrots, shredded, divided
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 head green leaf lettuce, trimmed, leaves torn
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Combine beef, onion, garlic, oats, half the carrots, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Form mixture into 4 patties. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. In 2 batches, cook patties until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and loosely tent with foil.
Add flour to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, 3 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Toss lettuce, cucumber, and remaining carrots with lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Serve salad with meatloaves and sauce.