"Project Runway" star Christian Siriano created this stunning mermaid getup for his own use at Halloween.
Tools and Materials
- Nude tank-top body shaper
- Assorted shells
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
- Gold paint
- 6 yards green or blue polyester organza
- 2 yards blue or teal stretchy fabric
- Fabric scissors
- Iron and ironing board
- Safety pin or straight pin
- Squeeze bottle with fine-tip top
- Cardboard scrap
- Hair clips, bobby pins or elastic headband
Mermaid Costume How-To
- With hot glue, attach shells to cups of nude tank top body shaper as desired.
- Once glue has dried and shells are secure, brush lightly with gold paint.
- To make tail, cut stretchy fabric into rectangle of desired size based on your measurements.
- Use hot glue to connect two ends of the fabric together to create a tube. Turn the tube right side out and position the seam as the back of the costume.
- For tail fins, cut organza into squares of desired size. Pinch and grab the center of each square and twist tightly as if wringing out a wet towel.
- Secure pinched end of organza to ironing board with a safety pin or straight pin (to avoid scorching your fingers) and with an iron, press and steam twisted organza, creasing it organically. Untwist organza to reveal fin.
- With hot glue, attach fins as desired to bottom of skirt. This can also be done with a needle and thread or safety pins if desired.
- Using a squeeze bottle fitted with a fine-tip top, add scales detail to skirt with gold paint.
- To create a headpiece, cut a small piece of cardboard as desired and wrap with a scrap of organza or stretchy fabric. Secure fabric on backside of cardboard with hot glue.
- Attach shells as desired, covering the fabric entirely, and, as with the shells on the bodice, brush lightly with gold paint.
- Finish the headpiece by using hot glue to attach hair clips, bobby pins, or an elastic strap to the backside of the cardboard.
- To style the costume, tuck the top into the skirt, secure the headpiece in the hair on the side of the head, and put on some shimmery makeup!
Nude tank-top body shaper available from Macy's or your local department store. Yellow-gold paint, fine-tip tops, and paintbrushes all available from Martha Stewart Crafts.