Put together a sponge tutu costume in a snap with this easy how-to from TV crafter Hosanna Houser, developed for our Dollar-Store Costume Challenge. If you have a bit more time, try the curled-ribbon variation.
Tools and Materials
- Large cylinder vase or canister
- Elastic headband
- Colorful mesh body sponges
Mesh Sponge Tutu How-To
- Stretch elastic headband over a large cylinder vase or canister, which will act as the "dress form."
- Pull a mesh sponge apart; cut into strips.
- Fold a strip in half, making a loop. Place loop over waistband; thread ends through loop and pull through.
- Repeat with more strips until tutu is full.
Ribbon Tutu Variation
To make a ribbon tutu, use a tied piece of ribbon as the waistband. Use strips of curling ribbon instead of mesh strips; curl ribbon with the outer edge of a closed scissor once attached.