Serve these hearty, oversize meatballs with homemade marinara sauce or add them atop your favorite pasta for a traditional family-friendly meal.
- Yield: Makes 2 meatballs
Photography: DAVID M. RUSSELL
Source: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Episode 102
- 2 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 8 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place bread in a bowl and cover with milk. In another bowl, mix veal and pork. Add onion, garlic, lemon zest, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and parsley. Add salt and pepper. Mash bread mixture to form a paste and add to meat mixture. Mix together, adding egg, and combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide mixture in half and form into two equal balls. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Saute meatballs until brown, a few minutes on each side. Place in oven to finish cooking, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.