These festive toothpicks will turn any party appetizer into a real treat.
Tools and Materials
1-inch Styrofoam ball
Colored construction paper
Liquitex matte medium
Extra fine point paint pen, such as those made by Sharpie
White pipe cleaners (for skull)
Green pipe cleaners (for pumpkin)
Halloween Party Picks How-To
1. Use a 1-inch Styrofoam ball. If you're making a witch or skull, mold ball into an upside-down pear shape; otherwise, leave as is.
2. Brush craft glue onto one side of a 3-by-1 1/2-inch strip of colored construction paper.
3. Wrap the paper around the ball, and crimp the edges so that the fold lays flat along the top and bottom. Trim away the excess paper.
4. Dip the tip of a double-pointed toothpick into glue and insert it into the bottom of the ball.
5. Brush a light coat of the matte medium around the ball to seal the paper layer.
6. Let dry for about 20 minutes before you begin to draw different faces on the ball.
Draw on cat face and whiskers with a white extra fine point paint pen. Cut out 2 small triangles of black construction paper, and glue them to the top of the ball for ears.
Draw on a skull face with a black extra fine point paint pen. Twist two 2-inch pieces of white pipe cleaner around the toothpick to make crossbones.
Draw on jack-o'-lantern face with a black extra fine point paint pen. Twist a tiny curlicue of green pipe cleaner, and glue it on top to make a stem.
Draw on bat fangs and eyes using red and white extra fine point paint pens. Cut out 2 small bat wings from black tissue paper, and glue them to the back of the ball.
Draw on witch face with a black extra fine point permanent marker. Insert the tip of a toothpick into the center of the face to make the nose; paint the nose black with a paint pen. To make the bottom of the witch's hat, cut out a small doughnut shape from construction paper. For the conical body of the hat, cut out a half circle, and overlap the two pointed ends; affix them with craft glue. Attach the two hat pieces with glue.
To purchase Liquitex Matte Medium, visit liquitex.com. For Sharpie Extra Fine Point Paint Pens, visit sharpie.com.