Make a one-of-a-kind Halloween card or invitation using these simple instructions.
Tools and Materials
Halloween paper pad
White or off-white card stock
Invitation message template
Wide-tipped glue pen
Haunted House craft punch
1/8- to 1/4-inch-wide black elastic
Standard legal-sized envelope (optional)
1. Make the invitation: Start with an 8-by-8-inch piece of craft paper. Score two lines -- one 3 inches in from one side and one 1 1/2 inches in from opposite side. Fold flaps in toward center and crease with bone folder.
2. Print invitation message template on basic white or off-white card stock and cut out an individual invitation message along lines. Adhere invitation message to center of folded paper with double-sided tape. Write details and message inside.
3. Glitter a small square of paper, using a wide-tipped glue pen and fine glitter. Allow to dry. Punch a haunted house from glittered paper. Adhere house to top of inside message with glue or double-sided tape.
4. Make the mask closure: Print the mask template on regular paper and roughly cut out an individual mask. Place template over craft paper and staple around template to secure. Cut out mask shape with craft knife.
5. Replace template over mask and punch holes with a screw punch, as indicated on template. (Tip: Place a small piece of transparent tape on what will be the back of the mask before punching, to act as reinforcement). Tie ends of an 8-inch piece of elastic through both holes to make a strap.
6. Punch notches with the screw punch (half-holes off the edge) in the sides of the invitation body while folded closed, halfway between the top and bottom. Snap mask onto invitation, catching elastic in notches, to hold closed.
7. Place in standard envelope, if desired.
Black elastic is available at most crafts or sewing-supply stores. Black No. 10 (legal) envelopes are available from Paper Presentation. All other tools and materials, including the 12-by-12-inch "Mad Scientist" and 8-by-8-inch "Vintage Halloween" double-sided paper pads, are from Martha Stewart Crafts. Beginning Sunday, October 4, 2009, receive a 30 percent discount on select Martha Stewart Crafts items at your local Michaels store.