Under 30 Minutes
Shells with Peas and Mushrooms
Recipe adapted from Lidia's Favorite Recipes, by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Tanya Bastianich Manuali, published by Alfred A. Knopf. Copyright 2012.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups cleaned sliced mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, and cremini
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound small pasta shells
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 ounces)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add bacon and scallions and saute until scallions are wilted, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their moisture, about 5 minutes.
Add stock, peas, and butter and season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary. Meanwhile, stir pasta into boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 12 minutes.
Drain pasta and return to pot. Add sauce and stir over low until pasta is coated. Remove from heat and add cheese. Toss well and serve.