Potato, Cauliflower, and Cheddar Bake
To prep ahead, place ingredients in dish; let cool. Cover and refrigerate, up to 2 days. Let sit at room temperature 2 hours, then bake.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold salted water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then add cauliflower and cook at a rapid simmer until potatoes are just cooked through and cauliflower is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and let sit 5 minutes.
Place half the potatoes and cauliflower in dish, sprinkle with half the thyme and cheddar, and season with pepper. Repeat to make a second layer. Add broth and dot top with butter. Bake until cheese is deep golden and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2012