Chipotle Shrimp with Cheddar Grits
This Southern dish gets south-of-the-border flavor from a chipotle chile and a bit of its smoky adobo sauce. Refrigerate leftover chipotles in adobo in a glass jar, up to 2 months.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2012
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen large shrimp (31 to 35), thawed, peeled, and deveined (tails left on)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from 2 limes)
In a medium pot, cook grits according to package instructions. Stir in cheddar and season with salt.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add scallions and chipotle and sauce; cook, stirring, until scallions are tender, 4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt. Top grits with shrimp and sauce.