Take advantage of fresh cranberries while they're plentiful. This homey creation takes just minutes to make and would be a festive treat throughout the holiday season.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, November 2012
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries, partially thawed if frozen
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Stir together cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg, then whisk in butter. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until combined.
Pour batter into skillet and scatter cranberries on top. Bake until center springs back when lightly touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving (or let sit at room temperature, up to 8 hours).