Simple Red Bean-and-Rice Soup
An easy yet satisfying combination of red beans and rice has serious meal appeal when simmered with Cajun seasonings in a flavorful soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced small
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, plus more for serving
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup converted rice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and season with salt. Simmer until broth is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, skimming any foam that rises to top.
Stir in rice and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Add scallions and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with additional Cajun seasoning, if desired. (Refrigerate cooled soup in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)