Shiitake mushrooms and barley make this a very nutritious soup.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, October 2012
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ounce dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Saute until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add button mushrooms and cook until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes. Add broth, 4 cups water, and shiitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil and cook until all mushrooms are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add barley, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook until barley is tender, about 12 minutes; season with salt and pepper.