Shrimp Scampi Meatballs in Garlicky Broth
For even more delicious shrimp flavor, simmer the shrimp shells in the chicken broth and then strain before adding it to the cooked garlic.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, October 2012
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- 3/4 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided, plus wedges for serving
- 1/4 pound ground white-meat chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse shrimp until finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, red-pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest. Fold in shrimp and chicken until just combined (do not overmix).
In a large pot, melt butter over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broth and 2 cups water and bring to a rapid simmer.
Drop shrimp mixture by heaping tablespoons into broth. Cook meatballs at a gentle simmer until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Divide pasta among four bowls and top with broth and meatballs. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest with parsley and sprinkle over soup. Squeeze lemon wedges over soup and serve.