Under 30 Minutes
Shrimp Scampi Meatballs in Garlicky Broth
For even more delicious shrimp flavor, simmer the shrimp shells in the chicken broth and then strain before adding it to the cooked garlic.
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- 3/4 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided, plus wedges for serving
- 1/4 pound ground white-meat chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse shrimp until finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, red-pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest. Fold in shrimp and chicken until just combined (do not overmix).
In a large pot, melt butter over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broth and 2 cups water and bring to a rapid simmer.
Drop shrimp mixture by heaping tablespoons into broth. Cook meatballs at a gentle simmer until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Divide pasta among four bowls and top with broth and meatballs. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest with parsley and sprinkle over soup. Squeeze lemon wedges over soup and serve.