Pasta Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Thick buttermilk makes a great base for a creamy dressing with less fat and tons of flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, October 2012
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound fusilli or other short twisted pasta
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1/2 cup fronds, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen shelled edamame
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta 1 minute less than package instructions; add fennel and edamame and cook 1 minute. Drain and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Add pasta mixture, watercress, and fennel fronds to bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.