Grilled Kale and Radicchio with Almonds and Balsamic-Orange Glaze
California cold-pressed orange olive oil, made from pressing oranges along with olives, lends its pure, bright flavor to these greens.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2012
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, plus 2 large strips zest
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lacinato kale (3 to 4 bunches), thickest stems trimmed
- 2 heads radicchio, each cut into 6 wedges, core left intact
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup whole almonds, toasted and very coarsely chopped
- Cold-pressed orange olive oil (such as O blood-orange olive oil), for drizzling
Bring vinegar, juice, and zest to a rapid simmer in a small saucepan, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly; remove zest, and discard. Whisk in 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Toss kale and radicchio with remaining 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt; season with pepper. Separate out radicchio, and grill, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred in places, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with 1 tablespoon dressing. In 2 or 3 batches, grill kale, keeping it piled on grill and turning often to prevent too much charring, until wilted, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer each batch as grilled to bowl with radicchio, and toss each batch with 1 tablespoon dressing. When all kale has been added, toss with any remaining dressing and the almonds until thoroughly coated. Transfer to a large platter, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon orange olive oil or more to taste.