Braised Red Cabbage
This dish can be made a day ahead. Let cool completely before refrigerating. Reheat, covered, over medium heat.
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, wine, water, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir apple into cabbage, and cook, covered, until cabbage and apples are tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Season with pepper.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 2012