Braised Red Cabbage
This dish can be made a day ahead. Let cool completely before refrigerating. Reheat, covered, over medium heat.
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, wine, water, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir apple into cabbage, and cook, covered, until cabbage and apples are tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Season with pepper.