Scallops with Orange-Butter Sauce
This is a rich meal of orange-flavored scallops, high in vitamin B-12, accompanied by couscous.
- Servings: 1
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, October 2012
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound sea scallops, patted dry, tough ligament on side removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 orange, peel and pith removed, flesh cut into segments, juice squeezed from membranes
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Cooked couscous, for serving
In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season scallops with salt and pepper; cook until browned and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover loosely with foil. Cut orange segments into 1/2-inch pieces.
Reduce heat to medium, add wine to skillet, and cook 30 seconds. Add butter and 3 tablespoons orange juice and cook, swirling, until sauce is thickened, 1 minute. Remove from heat and add chives and orange pieces. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over scallops and couscous.