Turkey Sloppy Joes with Kale Chips
Serve these sandwiches with your favorite accompaniments, such as mustard, sliced white onion, and pickle chips.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, October 2012
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced small
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground dark-meat turkey
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large potato hamburger buns
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss kale with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake on two rimmed baking sheets until crisp, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion and sweet potato and cook until softened, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds; season with salt and pepper. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, ketchup, and Worcestershire and cook until sauce is reduced by half, 5 minutes. Serve on buns alongside kale chips.
Homemade kale chips are a great way to slip a new vegetable into your family's weekly routine.