Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Tomatoes
Sweet cherry tomatoes and bitter broccoli rabe pair perfectly in this traditional Italian pasta dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: David Malosh
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2012
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound fresh orecchiette
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer breadcrumbs to a plate.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium heat. Add anchovies, and stir until they dissolve into oil, about 1 minute. Add garlic and capers, and cook until garlic is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, red-pepper flakes, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Raise heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to break down, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and pasta to pot, and cook until pasta is al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water, and drain pasta and broccoli rabe.
Add pasta, broccoli rabe, and reserved pasta water to tomato mixture in pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently, until combined and pasta water thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, and top with breadcrumbs.