1 of 12
Sardines and anchovies are healthy, sustainable, and, best of all, delicious. Here are some ideas for incorporating them into your diet, and recommendations for our favorite brands.
Add broken-apart canned sardines to leftover pasta, and finish with basil.Learn More about the Environmental and Health Benefits of Eating Little Fish
2 of 12
Fill a Sandwich
Spread avocado on toasted seven-grain bread, layer on watercress and canned sardines, and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and sea salt.
3 of 12
Slice into Dressing
Mix 18 oil-packed cured sliced anchovies, 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, 2 teaspoons chopped shallots, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
4 of 12
Toss in a Salad
Combine shredded radicchio, canned chickpeas, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, red-pepper flakes, and boquerones.
5 of 12
Top jarred piquillo peppers with boquerones, shaved red onion, and a few leaves of fresh oregano.
6 of 12
Harvested off the Galician coast, these meaty sardines are packed in mellow Spanish olive oil.
$3.50 each, spanishtable.com
7 of 12
These smoked sardines from Portugal are well-balanced in flavor and have a substantial, satisfying texture.
8 of 12
Delicately smoky, these fish are sourced from Norway's icy fjords.
9 of 12
Cabo De Penas
Tiny, tender, and meaty, these fish from Galicia taste like the briny deep. They are wonderful straight out of the can.
10 of 12
These boquerones, or vinegar-cured white anchovies from Spain, have a pleasing tartness.
11 of 12
If you're unsure about eating softened (calcium-rich) bones, try this skinless, boneless variety.
12 of 12
Intense but not too fishy, these anchovies from Argentinian waters add depth to almost any savory dish.
$10 for 5 tins, vigo-alessi.elsstore.com
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
Sardines and Anchovies: Eat More Little FishReplay
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Decorate with Brass
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- A Blueprint for Color
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold