1 of 13
Preserving Precious Heirlooms
Maine pomologist John Bunker is passionate about apples -- and preserving hundreds of heirloom varieties.
2 of 13
How Do You Like Them?
Nutting Bumpuses, Wolf Rivers, or Newt Grindles? A low-tech grid keeps track of each rare heirloom variety as it's harvested.
3 of 13
Road to the Past
Super Chilly Farm is a preservation orchard with more than 200 varieties of apples.
4 of 13
"Fish are on the coast, blueberries in the barrens, cranberries in the bogs, but apples are everywhere," says John Bunker. "They bring people together."
5 of 13
In the Bag
From the end of August through October, CSA shareholders get a biweekly bag of apples, with recipes and a brief historical "biography" of each variety.
6 of 13
Bunker is just as likely to be seen harvesting as any of his apprentices.
7 of 13
Fruits of Their Labor
The orchard calls on its New England neighbors to locate old varieties and seeks scion donations for grafting.
8 of 13
Fruit of Knowledge
John Bunker has spent countless hours climbing trees and collecting, storing, and cooking the fruit.
10 of 13
Bunker relies on vintage texts to identify and piece together the history of the hundreds of antique apples he grows.
11 of 13
Apple cider can be boiled down to molasses or fermented into vinegar or hard cider.
12 of 13
Cooling Their Peels
A half-dozen varieties await what is arguably an apple's highest calling: being baked in a pie.
13 of 13
Beauty is more than skin deep, especially with organic heirloom apples, which tend to grow in odd shapes and sizes.Read More About John Bunker's Preservation Efforts
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- A Blueprint for Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Decorate with Brass
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways